28 October 2008

Design 1.0 + 2.0 + 3.0

During my recent visit to New York, I had the chance to sit down with GK VanPatter at NextD's East 11th offices. We spoke of the distinction between sense-making and difference-making and what design has done in its 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 iterations related to these ideas.

My visit offered clarification about design as something that is used in problem solving. When we look at content knowledge alone, we run into issues of adaptability (and we live in an age where this is pretty important). When we consider process knowledge, we can actually take the notions of adaptability (and scale) into account. And in light of the massive nature of my current thesis ideas, I need to keep these concepts in mind if I'm to see my research be something adaptive.

No comments: