03 November 2008

UN University: Priority Africa


PRIORITY AFRICA - Climate Change from UNUChannel on Vimeo.

I'm trying to get a read on what forms communication design could take in light of the issues surrounding sustainable adaptations for Africa as mentioned in this video from UN University. This dialogue is recurrent and is one I am investigating in order to figure out what the differences are for those who are not contributing directly to the climate change problem. How can Africa respond and how will it become equipped to adapt to the changes at a community level (not to mention nationally)?

I wrestle with this as one who sits outside the reality (minus my three months in Rwanda). What form could my design possible take in this cultural setting? How would my design need to change? Process or content? Or both?

And at the end of it all, I wish I could get back on a plane to pursue this in its rightful context. And appreciate Thackara's words on the idea of design for development too.

No comments: