14 January 2010

Learning #12: To whom much is given, much will be required.
Working on projects over the past year, I have come to realize how lucky I am to have skills, knowledge, access, freedom, friends, safety, shelter and food. I happen to live in a location that makes these things seemingly easy to possess. For me, having these things doesn't mean I can sit back and relax. Having them reminds me how sharing them will actually enrich my life.
174/366
The experience of having a young Rwandan student ask me if I could teach her Illustrator so she could make things on her own was a notable moment (she saw this image on my desktop and asked, "Can I make something like that?"). Due to her busy schedule we weren't able to pursue these lessons as hoped. But this desire acts as a reminder of how my "much" requires me to respond to those with "less much." This isn't an act of charity but rather one of being open with what you possess. Be it design training or daily needs, I have learned that sharing must be part of my life and work (even if it costs me).

One of twelve in this series

No comments: