30 March 2009

Pattern


Today I spent some time with Catherine Brown, who teaches Soft Product Design at ECUAD. Her background is in designing sewn products for the outdoor gear market so I got to work with that type of material in the mock up version. With her help, we crafted a pattern for the "bag part" of my field kit. She graciously walked me through each step so I could visually learn (as I tend to do!). This image shows the 3D prototype that was crafted before we took it apart to create the patterned pieces. I now need to attempt sewing this same bag so I can provide instructional information for someone who might want to employ this tool in other contexts.


I feel to articulate that this experience has pushed me into unknown realms, which can be both intimidating and exhilarating. I have much to learn but I'm grateful to be in a place where learning can take on such interesting forms.

No comments: